Wednesday, October 14, 2009

October 14, 2009

Greetings
It's the wee hours of Wednesday morning. I'm still here in Mark's room.

Tuesday morning he was more cognitive of his surroundings. He could follow familiar voices. There were several times when he'd make brief eye to eye contact with his loved ones who were speaking to him. Or you could just say his name and he'd look.

However as I compose this, his breathing has become more shallow and labored. He still has a fight in him to be with us. We are sure it's because his second son, Eric, is leaving Spain in a little over 3 hours from now. He will be back in Chicago by 5 PM Chicago time on the 14th.

Mark has battled the cancer and the stroke for 2 years and 7 months. It has been quite a battle. The family is so fortunate to have such close friends who have given support to help guide us all on this journey.

The time is nearing for Mark to take that final trek homeward. His father and mother are waiting with open arms to greet him. We even believe that his dad had Mark's clubs ready so they can go golfing. A feast will be prepared to celebrate Mark's journey home.

I am so thankful for the gift of Mark in my life. We met in 1970 after I returned home from a 6 week European choir tour. Funny thing is that the nurse who attended Mark in ER yesterday is the daughter of a friend who was on that same choir tour 39 years ago.

Mark has been a friend, confidant and soul mate for many of those years we've been together. It is only 10 of the past 13 that brought us a rocky road. The last three I promised I would be there to see him through whatever was making him feel sick at that time.

Go quietly into that good night!

Thank you all for your love and support!

No comments: